Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Open Letter

Dear Grandma,
I still think about you everyday. I still wonder what you are doing and what funny things you have said today. I look at your picture that hangs in Sallie Rose's room and pray that my baby girl will be as much of a woman as you were and be a generous, kind hearted person.

What an exciting year for your family. You have 3 new great grand babies, Dad and Patty got a great house in Llano, where Dad can play with all his cowboy friends, Tara got a great job and is running a nursing home (she got all the practice when you were at the Hansford Manor, remember how she bossed those people around?), everyone is healthy and happy. Your children, grandchildren, and great grand children still talk about how wonderful you were and we love to tell funny stories about you. I know your friends miss you so much too! They don't have anyone as good as you to get advice from.

Boy do I miss our naps. I dream everyday of being in Spearman laying on your couch snoozing, while you blasted the volume of the tv. I am now not sure why you had hearing aids, I am not sure that they worked. I assume that the good ones were too expensive for your budget (wink, wink).

I am trying everyday to remember all the wisdom you gave me and live my life as a Christian. It is hard Grandma. There are some real doozies! I admit, I cuss too much, I judge, I smoke in secret every once in awhile (not a secret now), but at the end of the day I read my Upper Room and hope that I can try harder to be a better person tomorrow.

Your presence will never end, you live in us, you speak to us, you have babies born every year that have the privilege to carry your heart with them as they live their life. Sallie Rose, Colton Mac, and Michael Blake might not have had the chance to meet you, but you are one of the reasons they are here.

I have been thinking about you a lot lately and miss you so much!
I love you Grandma,
Cassie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did I start reading that at work knowing it would make me cry? Cassie that is so sweet! I miss her so much. I still want to call her on Sunday so she can check up on me! hehe
Tara

Anonymous said...

Amen! Love Patty

Rebecca said...

Thanks for sharing.