Monday, November 9, 2009

One year check up

We went for Sallie's one year check up last Friday. Wow, what a day. First of all the doctor was running late, for whatever reason, so we played in the germ infested waiting room for 30 minutes. We got into the room and we go through the usual: take off clothes, keep distracted while we wait, and then the nurse comes in. I am always surprised that Sallie Rose is nice to them, because I figure by this age she would begin to relate the nurses back to the horrible pain of shots and so forth. She didn't.

The nurse weighed her and she is a whopping 17 lbs 10 oz. She is still in the same percentiles that she has been since she was born. Tall and thin percentiles. So that means a couple of things: 1-she still is not supposed to face forward in her car seat, and 2- all that pasta, mac and cheese, chicken, fruit, and waffles that she scarfs down is not sticking to her bones. Just coming straight out her back end.

That's ok. We will just keep doing what we do and she will grow the way she is supposed to. Next, they needed some blood to run lab tests. This was the really hard part. The lady poked her finger and Sallie Rose fought so hard that the lady couldn't hold her tiny little finger long enough to get any blood. It was really hard. They came back and did it again later. Of course she had to get her immunizations too. Poor babies, I know they all need to do it, but it so hard to watch them cry so hard. It makes me really thankful that I have a healthy child and it also makes me pray for those children and parents who have to do this sort of thing often, because they have a terminal illness or disease. What a painful situation to have to go through.
So, she is up on all her shots and is ready to go back to licking the play mats at the mall. I wouldn't let her do it until she got all her shots, especially the flu shot. :)
She is definitely growing into her own little personality. I am afraid that the personality might be a little terror. She throws fits a lot lately. She threw a fit in the nursery yesterday, because I didn't bring her a bottle and she wouldn't drink from a sippy cup. So, she insisted on crying and trying to take the bottles away from the babies. Ouch, that made me feel really bad. BAD PARENT ALERT! All this weening from this and crying out process for that, is getting old. When does it end??

She talks, she dances, she walks everywhere, she giggles, she reads a lot still, and she makes me laugh every single day. That is one thing that will never change. I actually laugh a little when she throws fits too. It is funny, but I don't let her see me laugh.
Oh and the dog's water bowl. What is so intriguing about that? She is so determined to play in that nasty water every time she walks by it. I guess I should just put a "Sallie's water bowl" on the floor for her to play in.

Here we are, the Butt-Beckwith family. Kevin still doesn't know that I hyphenated all of our last names, including his.

Kevin and Sallie looking at the stars

Sallie being sassy in her short shorts. This is from a long time ago, but I just came across it.

1 comment:

Kam De Leon said...

Never a dull moment is there!