Saturday, November 26, 2011

Giving Thanks

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving and I am proud to say that I am feeling out of my funk that I was in last week and ready to get jolly and excited about Christmas.

I don't usually have "funks" that last very long. I am that person who always says "it will be fine and everything will work out the way God planned it." Well the last month has been very hard and my "it will be fine" machine was broken. I couldn't shake it. I was tired of discussing which one of the numerous bills we should pay this month and alert those who wouldn't be getting paid until next month, hopefully. I think it was just a surprise to me that we were in this position again with the rentals. I had worked so darn hard to get them rented and then 4 murders happen within 4 weeks within 2 blocks of our rentals. We lose 2 tenants because of the murders, and then the next month 3 more for various reasons. Plus, many of our tenants are just not paying their rent and I don't have the heart to kick them out immediately. Well, that's not real great business, because we have bills to pay and its usually their bills to keep their water and electricity on.

So, it hit me. I was tired of this business and I am tired of dealing with these tenants and their "needs". I went to a funk. And so did Kevin. It's not easy to unfunk when your partner is in the same funk. Then, one day I woke up in a good mood and decided, yeah its bad, but we are still paying all of our personal bills and we still have a beautiful home and no we might not have money at the end of the month to do anything but buy a coke, but that is more than most people could dream of right now. I am BLESSED AND I WILL BE HAPPY. I will deal with all the other unpleasantness of not being able to pay the roof company or so on, but I will still be happy and have faith in God. I am working as hard as I can and he will bring us through it. It just seems like we have been doing this same merry go round for 3 years.

On the other hand, I have a healthy baby growing and another healthy baby on the way. We took Sallie Rose to the doctor with us on Tuesday and I had asked her if she had any questions for the doctor and she had a couple. She wanted to ask him if we could get the baby out today and other various related questions. When we saw the doctor, I asked her if she had any questions for him and she said (in her cute, tiny voice) "what's your middle name?". We all laughed and he was a little embarrassed, because his middle name is Eugene and he is not very fond of it. It was adorable.

We will be finding out the sex of deuce (baby #2), on December 20th, but will wrap it up and not look until Christmas morning. We want to give ourselves a little surprise and a little extra Christmas joy.

So, here is to a great Thanksgiving and looking forward to a wonderful Christmas full of family, fun, Christ and health.

1 comment:

Our Wandering Life said...

What a great idea about wrapping up the answer and making it a "surprise." I love it! And yes, that was very cute of Sallie. We spent Thanksgiving with friends and there was a 4 year old there...she asked me questions like 'why is your husband's name Mat and so is my uncle's?' and also 'what's your fake name?'