Sunday, November 21, 2010

Over protective Mommy




I knew the day would come when I would become the over protective Mommy over my little Sallie Rose. I have always been one of those people who hates for other people to bully or be ugly to another person. It makes my skin crawl. I never understood why someone would make fun of someone or try to hurt them just to make themselves feel better. However, I never cared what anyone said about me. I rarely get my feelings hurt or take to heart what anyone thinks about me. I don't know what it is, I just never have cared. If you make fun of my family or my friends or even an innocent "nerd" that can't stand up for themselves, then I will be in your face and telling you what a loser you.

So, now that I am a Mom and I have a precious little angel who is small and quiet, I have been dreading the day that she would get her feelings hurt or be pushed around by someone. So far she has been fine with standing up for herself. When I take her to school and the little boys get too close to her, she yells at them and pushes them away. I do not want her to be violent or nasty, but I don't mind her pushing the boys off of her.

The other day we had Julia's birthday party to go to and Julia is Sallie Rose's older bestie, Julia is 4. She loves Julia. They played a lot together when Susan watched Julia one week while her Grandma was out sick. They play great together and Julia is very sweet to Sallie Rose. At the party, Julia had another 4 year old girl to play with and they ran all over the house and up and down the stairs and Sallie Rose could not keep up. She is just so tiny still and can't move like the 4 year olds. Of course we tried to keep up with them for a while, but after I took her up and down the stairs 3 times to follow Juila, Mommy put an end to that and we stayed downstairs.

Mia, the other 4 year old friend, who happens to be a red head (go figure) was coloring at one point and Sallie Rose wanted to color too and Mia told her no. I bit my tongue and just waited it out. Then Sallie Rose started laughing for really no reason and Mia told her it wasn't funny. I still said nothing. Then Sallie Rose laughed again and Mia once again told her it wasn't funny so don't laugh and then took a color pencil away from Sallie Rose. So that was enough for me. I went right over there and said to Mia, "if Sallie Rose wants to laugh then she can laugh at whatever she wants and you need to stop telling her she can't.". Mia left the room with her red pigtails and her ugly outfit and I won. Ok, I didn't want to win, I just didn't want her telling my baby she couldn't laugh.

Sallie Rose spent the whole party playing by herself and asking why Juila wasn't playing with her. If this is already breaking my heart, I am going to have a long road ahead of me. I really am trying not to get involved too much in her life in the future, but dang I don't want her to cry or feel left out EVER!

I know one day I will have to sit SR down and tell her that people say nasty things and that it doesn't matter what they say about her, but that she is a child of God and is beautiful inside and out. I have known so many girls that had parents that were supportive and wonderful, but these girls still had low self esteem just because the kids at school told them they were fat or ugly. I am so sad for children who believe what other people say and have esteem problems or eating disorders due to the teasing. On the other hand, I absolutely do not want Sallie Rose to be a bully herself. I would be mortified if a mother told me my child had caused their child pain. So, how do you stop that from happening? Either way, I will try and prevent her causing pain to another or her letting another person's words hurt her. What a hard job. What a very hard job.

No comments: